Communications Center
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Other > 2013 Ball State Employee United Way: Four Weeks Remaining

2013 Ball State Employee United Way: Four Weeks Remaining

Contributed by: Marta Stephens
Published: Monday, 04 November 2013 9:00 AM
Last week marked the midpoint of the Ball State Employee United Way Campaign. During the first five weeks of the campaign, university employee contributed 38% of our 2013 $150,000 goal. Please remember that the campaign will end on November 30, so if you are wishing to make a contribution, please do so within the next few weeks.

The following is a list of frequently asked questions about the campaign. If the answer to your question is not listed here, please contact Marta Stephens at 285-1187 for assistance.

Q: May I designate my contribution to go to a specific agency?
A: Yes. Check the second block on the back of your blue pledge card and indicate the name and address of the agency you wish to designate. You will find the list of United Way funded programs here.

Q: May I use payroll deduction to make a single lump-sum donation?
A: No. The purpose of payroll deduction is to break the donation into payments over an extended period of time. If you would like to make a lump-sum donation, please write a personal check made out to United Way of Delaware County and submit it with your pledge card.

Q: How does payroll deduction work?
A: Complete the Payroll Deduction card included in your packet and return it to your team captain along with your pledge card. If you don't know your employee ID, you may use your social security number. All records are kept confidential. Since the United Way campaign officially ends in November of each year, the amount pledged will start being taken out of the January pay period. The deductions will be taken until the pledged amount is satisfied or the employee submits a new pledge form (i.e., if the pledge is $10 a month for twelve months, that amount will be deducted from January to December.)

Q: What should I do if I want to make a donation in the current year for tax purposes?
A: Please write a personal check made out to United Way of Delaware County and submit it with your pledge card prior to the end of the calendar year.

Q: I lost my pledge card and payroll deduction card. May I request another set?
A: Yes, you may and here are your four options:
1. Call 285-1187 and request another set be sent to you through campus mail.
2. Stop by University Human Resource Services in AD 350 and pick up another set.
3. Go to the BSU United Way web page, You may complete your pledge card online.
4. If you’ve lost the payroll deduction card, it’s available online. Print it, complete the form, and mail it to University Human Resource Services in AD 350.

Q: How can I find out how much I’ve donated to date for tax purposes?
A: The total deduction to date is available on your pay stub.

Q: How can I find out how much I pledged last year?
A: 1. Look on your last pay stub from the previous year or,
2. Go to the Payroll and Employee Benefits web page and then click on the Self Serve Banner (SSB) link and log in.

Q: How do I cancel my pledge?
A: Stop by University Human Resource Services, AD-350 and pick up a new pledge card. Print your name and BSU ID number at the top. Sign and date the card and initial the line at the bottom of the form where it reads: “To stop an authorization …” Drop the form off at Payroll and Employee Benefits, AD G29.

Q: What are the criteria for a department to be eligible to win a pizza party from Ball State University Dining?
A: Every department that has 100% participation (everyone in the department has made a donation) is eligible for the drawing to win a pizza party from Ball State University Dining. The winning department will be treated to a New York Style pepperoni and supreme pizza (enough for each person to have two slices), tossed garden salad with Italian or Ranch dressing, and one 20 oz. bottle of beverage. The winning department will be announced after the campaign ends and all pledge cards are returned to University Human Resource Services.

Q: Am I required to participate in this campaign?
A: No. The university is pleased to continue the tradition of offering employees the option to give to charitable organizations of their choice and acknowledges that giving is strictly on a voluntary basis.

Q: If I decide not to participate this year, do I need to return my pledge card?
A: No, if you choose not to participate, there’s no need to return the pledge card.

Q: What is Delaware County United Way’s Tax Receipt policy?
A: United Way of Delaware County will send a tax receipt to individuals for cash received in total of $250 or more during a calendar year. All other receipts will be sent upon request. To request acknowledgment, please check the box on the back of the blue pledge card. Your acknowledgment will be mailed to the address you have indicated on the front of the card. Please note that United Way cannot send receipts to those who utilize payroll deduction. The employee who uses payroll deduction can use his or her payroll pay stub as a receipt of payment and for tax purposes. For more information, please contact the Delaware County United Way office at 765-288-5586.

Please visit the Ball State United Way web page at for the names of team captains and other valuable campaign information.